Covid-19 and Child Support Obligations

Covid-19 and Child Support

What happens when you have been laid off, have reduced hours, or have been self-isolating and are consequently unable to earn enough money to pay your child support obligations? In these unprecedented times, managing your child support obligations may be extremely difficult if your employment or business has been impacted.

On the topic of child support obligations during the Covid-19 crisis, Alex Boland, a family lawyer from Kelowna, has published two interesting articles regarding a parent’s obligation to pay child support during the pandemic. The articles, to be read together and found at the Lawyer’s Daily, are linked here (Article 1) and here (Article 2) for your convenience. We highly recommend that parents read these articles, especially if they have questions about their child support obligations. We also recommend parents review some of the financial supports and benefits available through the Federal Government and the Provincial Government

As our commitment to you, our office is dedicated to keeping you up to date with the most relevant news and statements regarding your family law issues and the intersection of these issues with Covid-19. If the Alberta Judiciary or the Alberta Government release any formal statements regarding child support obligations, our firm will update our blog accordingly.

If you have any questions about how the Covid-19 pandemic specifically impacts your child support obligations or your ex-partner’s child support obligations, you can set up a consultation by calling our office at 587-390-3070 or by using the contact form on our website. Our office is set up to work virtually and we can assist you with any family or divorce issues you may have during the Covid-19 pandemic.

The above information regarding child support obligations, as outlined in Alex Boland’s article, does not constitute legal advice. EBL Family Law is not liable for any reliance on the above information.

For answers to questions about your unique circumstances, we recommend seeking the counsel of an experienced family lawyer.